Will a mean and vicious 1.5 year old female cat behavior change towards a new male cat once she is s

Terrell TaitTerrell Tait East WindsorMember Posts: 1
Hi there, i have just moved in with a friend who has two female cats that are not fixed, Baby (1.5 year old) and Bell (3 month old). My nuetered (8 month old) male cat, Diego, has been here for 2 weeks and is super friendly, playful, and gets along with Bell, the 3 month old kitten. HOWEVER, the older cat, Baby, is in heat and is very mean, vicious and physically attacks Diego especially when she is in heat. My roommate has made an appointment to get her cat spayed, but i am concerned if her behavior will change for the better after she is fixed, or will Baby continue to be mean to Diego? My main concern is Diego's well-being and happiness, and i will move out if need be. In the mist of this stressful situation, Diego handles it very well. He eats, uses the bathroom, and plays with the kitten freely. However, once the older female cat in heat comes around, he becomes very stressed and scared, which leaves me uncomfortable. What should i do???

Best Answers

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Well, the first answer is to get the unspayed cat spayed (and also the kitten, once she comes of age). There are cheap spay options out there--do some research--the SPCA might be of help. Unless Ms. Unspayed is just a grumpy cat, the chances are good that she will become more mellow once she's not going in and out of heat. Mind you, I'm a (licensed) breeder, and have two unspayed females. They're Maine Coons, who don't have very histrionic heat cycles, but I've heard from other MC breeders that sometimes they have to cage their females when it's "that time of the month." First, get your roommate to spay Baby. Unless you're a breeder or can guarantee that any oops litters will all get good families, not spaying is simply inhumane. Then see what happens. If Baby, after her hormones settle down, still attacks Diego, then I'd follow your own advice, and move out for Diego's sake.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    How is she when not in heat? If she's mellower when she's not in heat, there's your answer right there. Do go ahead with the spay and wait it out: it will take her several days to heal, during which time the other two cats will probably mark her territory, therefore throwing off the power balance (as a queen in heat, she's probably marked the heck out of everything). After that, try and re-introduce the other two cats to her. Make sure to emphasize activities where everyone can play, it will help them bond. That said, she might never fully accept Diego, but chances are she won't be as vicious as she once was.