I have an 18 y/o neutered male who refuses to pee in the litter box, Ive tried multi types of litter

Best Answers

• Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    Have you had him checked for a UTI? Also, you might want to try putting the box in a different location. Oscar is very particular about where his box is. I tried moving it once and he was not impressed. Needless to say, it went back. :D
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Any time a cat, especially an older one starts to pee outside the box its the sign they could have a health problem. A urinary tract infection (UTI) is the most likely but it could be other things too like diabetes or kidney problems. Take him to a vet for a check-up and a blood test and they'll probably find what the problem is and be able to give you antibiotics or other meds if he needs them. I also just invited you to Olde Furts, its a fun group for senior cats and you can get good advice on all the health issues that affect older cats.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    I agree, schedule a vet visit to rule out medical problems. One other thing I'd like to add is older cats often get arthritis so it may be hard for him to get into the litterbox. Try using an open litterbox with low sides for easy entry. A covered litterbox or one with high sides may be difficult for him to enter.