Why is my cat's behavior changing suddenly?

Sarah JudgeSarah Judge Member Posts: 21
I'll be just petting her one minute and she'll be all happy and the next she's biting me viciously. Not just a nip either she bites and hangs on with her teeth while scratching me. I'm sure she isn't playing, this is an aggressive bite! I don't know what's wrong with her. She has plenty of water and everything. Why does she have mood swings like this? If you want more info message me.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Some cats do this and it's difficult to figure out why. If she's really vicious about biting you, when she does it, tell her "DON'T BITE!!" and put her in a room by herself for a few minuites (time-out). Cat bites are serious injuries and can get infected very easily. Some Casters reccommend that you go to the emergency room right away if it's that bad. If she isn't spayed, you need to get her fixed as soon as possible. You may also be touching a sore spot on her body. It's best to take her to her vet for a check-up. If he finds nothing wrong, there are anti-anxiety medications she can be givien.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    If this is new behavior she may be sick/hurt and you are touching a sore spot so you need to take her to the vet for a check up. If this is something she's done for a while its fairly common and is from them getting overstimulated from petting. Watch her carefully for any signs that she is getting hyper when you pet her. This could be wide eyes, flicking tail, eats go back etc. When you see this happening stop petting her and let her calm down. You can also have a stuffed toy mouse or something handy to give to her when she gets like this so she can bite that rather than you. Izzie's idea about putting her in the bathroom for a timeout if she gets aggressive with you is good too.