How to stop Mama kitty from ocassionally pooing just outside the litter box? We have 2 boxes, but ki

We just adopted a family of kitties, a one-year old mom and her 2 kittens. All three use the 2 litter boxes that we have set-up for them, but the mom occassionally poos outside the box. Its clear that she is in the box, but "misses" her target. I understand that some cats like 2 boxes, one for urine, one for feces - however, since we already have 2 boxes and 2 kittens, I'm not sure that is an answer for us.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Mama may just not realize that her back end is hanging over the box when she poops. You may want to try getting a larger, deeper box, or try one of those Rubbermaid "under-the -bed" boxes which are very long but not too deep. All three can use that. It sounds like Mama is trying and not "marking" with her poop by leaving piles all over the house. She just doesn't realize that part of her is not in the box.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Agreed with Izzie. The good news is that this problem is easily solvable: find a very roomy litterbox for mama kitty. I myself am too long for a regular litterbox, so mommy ended up buying one that was long enough to fit two cats.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, the Rubbermaid under-the-bed box is a good suggestion. I had to use it for my cat when she got bigger because she was "missing" the box on occasion. Also, keep the litter boxes CLEAN! That's the other reason why Mama Kitty may not be using the box. Good luck to you!