Addendum to human eye drops for cats...

Oddly, human medications are often used on cats. One example is "Kitty Prozac"--Kitty is getting the same stuff as humans, but in smaller quantities. Actually, I've never done Kitty Prozac, and don't really approve of it, but when Harvey was acting up in the show rings, I had my vet prescribe Xanax and Valium--and--ta da!!!--they were exactly the same meds my pdoc prescribes for me. By the way, they didn't work, and Harvey is never going to have them again. But the point is that a lot of animal meds ARE actually human meds, too. The point is that you have to leave this to your vet. NO OTC meds, ever. As for pinkeye, in my distant past, when I was living with a Significant Other and a cat, yes, indeedy, we all came down with pinkeye at the same time. I seem to remember that we two Humans used the cat's eye ointment....and all three of us survived. I wouldn't think of doing such a thing now, but we were young and stupid. Eye treatment is cheap. Go to the vet. Please.

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Actually, most medications for cats are human meds specifically dosed for cats. The key phrase in Harvey's post above is "vet prescribed". The antibiotics, pain injections, steroids and even some ringworm meds are all human meds adapted to animal use. And the dose of valium that is prescribed for cats is actually more than a human dose. What calms a cat down would knock a human out cold. That's why only a vet can prescribe the right dose. The average person would have no idea how much was safe or effective for a cat. In fact, my vet had to consult a book to get the right dose for each of my cats at different weights for some medicine I had to use when Blaze had Giardia and all of my cats had to be treated as a precaution. Each dose was different. And as Harvey also said, NO OTC human medicine is EVER appropriate or safe for a cat.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    When Izzie had tummy troubles right after I rescued him, he and I were on Famotidine (Pepcid) at the same time. Mine was prescription, but his was OTC in a much smaller dose. He HATED that little pill until I told him his other option was a suppository that I would be happy to insert with a running start.. Took the pills after that with nooooo problemmo.