help with gummy eyes!

hey everyone, I haven't posted anything for a really long time. i hope everyone is doing good :) well, a stay cat had a litter of 5 kittens in my laundry room, I've been taking care of the mama cat cause i can't do much for the kittens. the kittens are about 3-4weeks old i believe. their eyes are open and they're walking around, but i got to hold one and look closely at one yesterday, i noticed that it had gummy eyes, now i know when kittens first open their eyes that they're a little gummy but he had a lot of gummyness. i couldn't get any other kittens to look at their eyes. i need to know if i should do something about his eyes, i can't take him to the vet cause i dont have nearly enough money so i was thinking maybe there was a home remedy i could make to help them. (and i have my babies in my room in the house that dont go outside, so i was wondering if it could be contagious...) please help!

Best Answers

• Jennifer WhitcherJennifer Whitcher villisca IowaMember Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    We had a kitten that had the same problem. We bathed her eyes in warm salt water and it helped.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    It's great you are looking after Mom and allowing her to take care of her kittens in the safety of your home but I was just wondering what your next step is going to be. Taking this feline family to your nearest shelter will get them medical treatment if needed, and a chance at a forever home for Mom (she will be spayed) and certainly the kittens. Getting these kittens socialized at a very early age will allow them to adjust to a new family easier when the time comes. I know a lot of people hate animal shelters but blame irresponsible pet owners, not the people who dedicate their lives to helping these animals get a second chance at life. All my best.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Bless you for taking this homeless little family into your life, home and heart. I agree that if you cannot afford vet care, they may be better off at a shelter. What the baby has may be pink-eye or conjunctivitis and it IS highly contagious to other pets and humans as well, Make sure when you handle the kittens you wash your hands throroughly. I'm not sure about the saltwater as that could burn their eyes. (Ever get saltwater in your eyes?) Warm water alone may be the best route for comfort, but not cure. If it is pink-eye, it will need antibiotics for that. Many vets will treat for free or at a reduced cost if you tell them you rescued this little family. You can also call a local rescue organization. If you agree to keep the family at your home, you would become a "foster", and medical care for them wouldn't cost you anything more than likely. Find rescue organizations in your area at www.petfinder.com.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Gummy eyes can be a sign of an upper respiratory infection (URI). These can be viral or bacterial in origin. I hate to say it, but your kitties need vet care. Try asking your local shelter or SPCA for cheap vet options. Or find a vet who will accept a payment plan. I congratulate you for taking on this cat family, but you have to take responsibility for their medical care, too. Do some searching, and you can probably find a way to have a vet check your kitties. In Japan, a vet check for one cat--at the regular rate--is usually around $30. The medicine is cheap. In any event, do what you can to find money to go to the vet. You've taken on the responsibility for these kitties' lives. You have to live up to it. Forget home remedies, and go to the vet.