my cat has fleas, I hv done the advantage and nothing wrks, long story short she is getting thin but

Best Answers

• kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    Advantage is a very reliably flea killer but I prefer Frontline. Just because your seeing fleas doesn't mean it isn't working. If your cat picked up a new flea from your home or outside, that flea will die in about a hour. Advantage also doesn't kill flea eggs so these will hatch in 2 days to possibly 2 weeks. The fleas your cat had before treatment could have possibly laid hundreds of eggs so it will take time to allow these eggs to hatch but when the flea finds your cat, they will die soon after. An adult flea can lay 20 or so eggs at one time. These eggs are generally laid on your cat but fall off and could possibly be found in couches, cat bedding, carpets, anywhere really. An adult flea needs to suck blood before reproducing so advantage kills her before she can lay her eggs. Keep using the advantage every month and you will see a difference. You also might want to consider de-fleaing your home, pay attention to places where your cat enjoys laying.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I've only had one cat that fleas, and that was the cat that was let outside every day to amuse herself. Well, she got fleas, I got a fine-toothed flea comb, loved to squish the little monsters (I tolerate spiders, but not fleas or cockroaches), and I honestly can't remember what treatment she got. (This was twenty years ago.) She went to the vet and got something that worked. We're in Japan, and don't have the same meds as in the US. The flea problem stopped with the one treatment. What I'm worried about is that kitty is losing weight. Fleas can cause tapeworm infections, which can sometimes be passed on to humans (usually children). Conclusion? Take your kitty to the vet, get a diagnosis (and take along a fecal sample to make sure that she doesn't have tapeworms), keep your home as clean as possible (vacuuming), and--most important--keep kitty indoors. Permanently. That doesn' t guarantee that kitty won't get fleas again, but it's almost certain to contain the problem.