Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My Cat doesn't step all the way in the liter box and pees on the floor next to it.

I have a 3 year old snowshoe who will not step all the way into the liter box. She hangs over with her butt and pees on the floor. If she goes poop, she will step all the way in, so I know she can fit. It is a standard size box and in my bathroom under the shelving area. I had a shelf removed so she has enough room to sit up straight. I have put down pee pads under the box and that catches the pee, but I would like to train her to step all the way in. She does this randomly, it doesn't seem to matter if the box is clean or has new liter. She is a large cat and I don't think she will fit in a hooded box. I don't have the option of moving the box, I am in a small apartment and this is the only tiled floor with the exception of my kitchen, and I won't have a liter box in my kitchen. any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Go to Target or Wal-mart and find a Rubbermaid plastic "under-the-bed" box that is very long and has enough room for your kitty to fit into it. She doesn't realize she's "hanging out". She thinks she's all the way in. Measure her space for her litterbox and get one of the Rubbermaid storage (under-the-bed) boxes that will fit into that space. Some kitties just need more space than is allowed in a regular litter box...
  • Carol MarfutaCarol Marfuta SanfordMember Posts: 11
    Accepted Answer
    Hi! my Charley is also a large kitty. I don't have the pee problem, but I wanted to contain his litter because he scratches a lot. I got a Booda Dome-it's HUGE! I've noticed that all his pee is against the edge. Maybe it's instinctive-I don't know. You could look at Booda & see what you think. She could still hang over the entrance, but it could be worth a try. Good Luck!