Cat lonely...

After moving nearly a year ago - my cat, Joey, of ten years appears to be lonely. He has always been an only cat, but since the move I am out of the house much more than usual so he is alone a lot (commuting time). He is healthy, just not happy. He made the adjustment to his new digs very well and has lots of toys and access to the windows - I think he just misses me. Any suggestions - I try to spend as much time as possible with him but I just don't have as much time as before. I don't think a companion would be a good idea because he can be very aggressive and he has always been the only kitty in the family. Some days he plays and seems content, some days he is distant. It breaks my heart to think that he is so lonely. I’m thinking of leaving the radio on for him – but I don’t want to increase any stress he may have when he is alone. Any suggestions are welcome.

Best Answers

• Cady CalamityCady Calamity Member Posts: 214
    Accepted Answer
    Does Joey have things to do while you are gone? Kitties need stimulation. you can get him some toys that hang from doors (my kitties love em) or a springy toy he can bat around...I'd only leave the radio on if it does soft music. Some stranger's voice or loud harsh sounds can stress him out, but my original scaredy cat, Julius, loves songs by Sara Bareilles, Ingrid Michaelson, stuff like that. I sing the songs to him when I'm home, and when I'm gone I turn on the cds and I swear he recognizes it. I can't really think of anything else...ohwait! My neighbor's cats LOVE to watch TV. He's a drywaller who sometimes gets big jobs he has to travel for (occasionally as long as a week) and the whole time he's gone, I care for the kitties and when I'm not there he leaves the tv on for them. Every time I walk in they're always sitting in the living room around the tv. You might see if your kitty enjoys that. :)
  • Michelle MayoMichelle Mayo New LiakeardMember Posts: 276
    Accepted Answer
    Before we got Rodney, Sabre suffered from separation anxiety. We used to leave the radio on low on a station that we listened to frequently and it helped. We would also call him...sounds silly i know. But on our lunch we would call and Sabre would hear the message. The days we didn't call he destroyed the house.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    All good suggestions! I'd like to add that if this is a fairly sudden change in Joey's behavior, you may want to check with his vet. He may not be feeling well. Senior cats can develop arthritis which makes them seem unhappy. When you are home, keep to your same evening routine. Cats thrive on routine. You are wise for realizing that he may not appreciate a companion. This could definitely increase his stress level if he doesn't tolerate other cats. How about an aquarium? (With a tight cover of course!)
  • Kitty_Pryde_and_JackKitty_Pryde_and_Jack los angelesMember Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Everyone has such good answers. Besides checking with the vet to make sure nothing else is going on if it is a sudden change, I would suggest this dvd called Video CatNip (I think that is correct!) The great thing about the dvd is that it has animal sounds and images(birds, squirrels, etc) and I have seen the way my kitty responds to it. He literally will bat at the tv screen. I also replays over until you shut if off, if you leave it on all day. I also got a cd also with animal sounds, but mostly leave a music station on the tv, like easy listening. They did that at the shelter where I got my boy at for their animals too. Springy toys are the best. There is one with a mouse that squeeks and this is my kitty's favorite and sometimes when I am home he will go on for about 45 min. with it and it just hangs on the door. My other kitty is content just running back and forth in her crinkle tunnel, so maybe something like that would be good? good luck to you and Joey.

Kitty Pryde and Jack