Can a cat's hearing improve???

Abby SloneAbby Slone LexingtonMember Posts: 2
My cat, Angel, is deaf, but lately, it seems like she can hear more. Even my mother noticed it. She has been deaf for about 1-3 years. Can a cat's hearing improve after so long? Can a cats hearing improve at all once it has gone?

Best Answers

• Cady CalamityCady Calamity Member Posts: 214
    Accepted Answer
    Is it possible you were speaking louder, and she felt the vibration? Or maybe she isn't deaf just hard of hearing (or ignoring you). I haven't heard of a cat's hearing improving after so long, but just because I haven't heard of it doesn't mean it's impossible.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    It depends on what caused the deafness. If it was something that also caused swelling, it's possible that some healing happened. But it's possible that she is just learning to adapt to her handicap and is using other senses (like virbations as previously mentioned) and just appears to be hearing. There's a kitty named Muppet on Catster that is clearly deaf because she had a surgery to remove part of her inner ears. But she interacts with her Mom just fine now that she has gotten used to the hearing loss.