How do I train my 1 month old kittens to use the litter box???They keep pooping on the carpet..!!

Best Answers

• Cady CalamityCady Calamity Member Posts: 214
    Accepted Answer
    Actually a month is the perfect time to start training kittens. They're at the point where they will take direction from momma cat, who will teach them box and social manners. If you do not have momma cat, this can be difficult. Firstly, a month is far too early for kittens to be weaned, they should stay at least 8 weeks. If these kittens are separated from momma, is there a surrogate adult cat they are familiar with? This page http://www.kittencare.com/askKC_Litter_Training.html has some good tips. We can't communicate with cats the way they can with each other though, so their training will be trickier than if momma cat is there to teach by example. This page http://ezinearticles.com/?Litter-Training-Your-Kitten---It-Isnt-As-Hard-As-You-Have-Heard&id=498019 goes into more detail, but the idea is the same. Don't beat yourself up. Buy some nature's miracle to clean up the spots, and be calm and consistent. They'll get it eventually. Good Luck, feel free to pmail me if you need help.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Orange Julius has some great tips. I just wanted to add that one month old kitten would normally still be with their Mom cat who would be taking care of the litterbox training so you would not need to. All of mine came to live with me at 8 weeks old, already using the box but not because the breeder trained them, because their Mommy did. Do not blame yourself for not knowing how to teach them since it is not something one would normally expect to have to do. I also recommend confining them to a limited area with the litterbox while they are learning.
  • tom tinklertom tinkler Member Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    gosh - rudeness below! - anyway - the best way is to introduce your cat to the litter tray by placing him in it a few times and speaking reassuringly - it sounds horrible but using a wet tissue massage the anus and genital area for a few seconds and place them in it - the mum does this to them - if they do pea outside pick them up and place them in the litter tray straight away andtalk gently to them - make sure the litte tray is in a quiet place
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Maya, as a Caster Answerer with over 2900 answers to my credit and more than once in the top 5 winning answers chosen category, it's been my experience that 1)preaching and 2) rudeness accomplishes nothing and doesn't help the "questioner". 4 week old kittens are just starting to wander about and this is prime time for potty-training. Purchase a large, low-sided box for their short little legs. Encourage mom to use it, also. When the kids see her and their sibs using it, they'll get the idea. Mom is actually the one who teaches them their potty manners. Don't worry if they don't "cover", some cats don't. Praise them when they use the box. Keep it clean with only about 1 1/2 inches of litter in it. If they are wandering about your house, you may want to put a few boxes out so there's always one "handy". Good luck!