What's the right amount of food to lose 2lbs?

Ali SgammatoAli Sgammato Yonkers, NYMember Posts: 11
So, I just took Sam (1 year old male) to the vet and my vet says he weighs about 15.2lbs and should be about 13lbs. He said to start slowly reducing his food intake. Right now he kinda just eats when he wants, but we are going to give him wet food in the morning then dry food at night (based on vet's recomendation) however, I'm not sure how much dry food to give him at night... like where to start... The doctor says slowly reduce, and he should be at the target weight in about 5-6 months. Any suggestions on how much dry food?

Best Answers

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    My vet says to go by calorie count. Let your vet figure out how many calories he needs to lose 2 pounds in 5-6 months (it's important to go slow). According to my vet, the kind of food (obviously you want a nutritious one, though) is not as important as the calorie count. And if Sam isn't getting much exercise, play with him every day. Da Bird and laser toys usually give the cat a good workout.
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    Accepted Answer
    My understanding is that a lot of obesity in cats is due to all the excess carbohydrate found in dry food. Cats are carnivores and derive their energy mainly from protein and fat and little from carbohydrate. All the excess processed carbohydrate ends up being stored as fat. If you are interested I will give a couple links with articles with more information, one is authored by a veterinarian. It is the type of food and the amount of food that will help cats lose weight. There are different opinions about this, but a cats biology is a fact. With the internet and technology, we as caregivers have more resources and can educate ourselves as to what we choose to feed our cats -- who cannot choose for themselves. Just wanted to share this if you are interested. This information helped me a great deal with a type 2 diabetic cat. http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm http://www.catnutrition.org/obesity.php
  • Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    Accepted Answer
    For overweight cats , I'll always use canned food. It's kind of like atkins. a low quality canned has more protein and less carbs than a top notch dry. such as innova cat for example that hs 28% carbs and 36% protein vs Fancy feast with 10% carbs and protein 45% and beyond.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Accepted Answer
    You need to do this slowly,. Do not free feed food, have set feeding times Your cat is 15 lbs, take the weight of cat times that by 13.6 and add 70 this will give you the amount of calories to feed a day, you can give just a little less if you are trying to achieve 13 lbs. but do this slowly. The best food to feed is a wet food that is high in protein and grain free preferably. Wellness and Evo are good ones. Also try to limit the intake of fish flavoured foods to once a week. This not due to weight problems, but for other problems that it causes. and remeber to play with your cat at least 15 min. everyday.