My adult cat has problems keeping food down... He was a rescue and I have tried lots of different br

Vixie SchafferVixie Schaffer Grafton/GlenvilleMember Posts: 1
James is a 7 year old neutered male... I was told the vet said James was allergic to red dye. He is healthy and still very active with the typical pouch male cats develop when neutered. I have switched food several times, and what I buy does not have dye in it. It is colored with beets and urinary tract healthy since he has had issues with his tract as well. James "yacks" more often when we get to the last quarter of the bag. I began freezing the food in small portions to keep it fresher longer. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The I am just concerned that after having him for 5 years the up-chucks are still happening. I portion out his food and now limit how late he eats. He has NO access to any plants, is limited on his treats and greenies, and has no ability to get into any cleaning chemicals around the house. He gets regular hairball medicine and treatments. Thank you in advance for any help.

Best Answer

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    If he throws up soon after eating he may just be eating too fast which is quite common in rescue cats who've gone hungry in the past. Xena does that sometimes and throws up undigested food. If it happens often you can do things to slow him down which should help. Give him a small food dish and put a golf ball in it that gets in the way and should stop him wolfing down the food. If that doesn't work get a plastic soda/water bottle, clean it and put his kibble in that. He'll have to knock it around and the kibble will come out a few at a time and he'll eat them as they come out.