I HAD A STRAY FEMALE CAT SPAYED TODAY, HOW LONG DO I WAIT TO EXPOSE HER EIGHT WEEK OLD KITTENS TO H

Best Answer

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    I assume the kittens are weaned, which means they won't try to nurse her. If so, give her 24 hours of total quiet for her to recuperate, and then just follow her lead, but I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't have any interest in doing more than eating and sleeping for the first few days. Being spayed can be pretty traumatic on some cats. Gracie was spayed near 6 months of age, which is fairly young and meant that she should bounce back from the surgery quickly, and yet she took a full week before she went back to normal, and so the whole time she seemed exausted I limited her interaction with Boris (our other cat who's older than she is) until she started showing signs of being better (playfulness, wanting to look out of windows). I would assume that the kittens have pretty high energy levels, so they'll probably annoy momma cat more than anything. So keep her separated even after 24 hrs unless she gives you clear indication that she wants them around (i.e., searches for them).