Cat weighs 24 lbs. Barely eats anything anymore yet he keeps gaining.

My cat has been on a strict diet for over 2 years now and somehow he has gained 6 lbs... each vet visit breaks my heart. He cries all day long for food, and we are trying to stick to the vet's rules but I feel like such a horrible mom while he cries. He eats one can of Hills C/D for struvite crystals, and now about 1/8th of a cup of dry Hills C/D a day... anything I can give him to fill him up without filling him OUT?

Best Answers

• Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, I would say to get off the "prescription" diet (it's not working) and start feeding a quality grain-free canned. I looked online at the ingredients in these products and the dry is not good for an obligate carnivore and the canned has low quality ingredients. Look at the ingredients. I know it's hard to understand a vet rec'd food isn't so good. Your cat is getting too much carb which ends up being stored as fat. And he is unsatisfied with the nutrition from these foods and is hungry. Plus he has had crystals. Dry food also contributes & exacerbates urinary problems due to the lack of moisture and the carb/grain content makes the urine too alkaline. Then they have to give you another special food to remedy that. Some info: http://www.felineoutreach.org/Education/Obesity.html Another article: http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm and read the "Feeding Your Cat" section + more within both these sites. It may take some time to lose, and also exercise is important. Best wishes :)
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Has your vet confirmed there's no medical reason for him to be gaining weight? Low thyroid is rare in cats but if he has that it could explain why he is gaining weight despite not eating much. Gogo started to get fat at about 9 months and reached 15lb before I switched her to Innova Low Fat Adult food and she's stable at 14 pounds now. High protein foods will also help with the struvite crystals. Also getting him to exercise a little may help him lose weight. If he is interested in any toys that you can play with him and get him to move around a biot that will help. Another thing you can do is make him work for his food. You can get toys that you can put his dry food in and it comes out a bit at a time as he bats at the toy. You can make your own version using a clean/dry plattic soda bottle - puts the dry food inside and leave the top off. If he knocks the bottle around the dry food will gradually come out and he'll get some extra exercise.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Accepted Answer
    Nadia is right on, you need to get off that prescription food and find another vet. Most Vets are not taught enough about feline nutrition (a few hours) and it is taught by the pet food companies IE: Science Diet. Cats are Obligate Carnivores, and need meat, your cat will only feel miserable on this species innapropriate food, and will get sicker, as it sounds like that is what is happening. The only way to loose weight, and get rid of the Urinary problems, and stave off of getting feline diabetes, is to switch your Cat to a Wet (canned)high protein grain free food. Some good brands are Wellness, and Evo. There still is hope for your cat. Read this site called catinfo.org This site will help you switch to a wet food and tell you how much to feed based on calories, not what it says on the bag, or can. Best wishes and join the forums on this site you will learn lots from lots of caring kitty mom and Dad's :)
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    Accepted Answer
    Just wanted to say, I agree with Nadia & Shadow. Good luck!
  • Julie Cat LadyJulie Cat Lady Member Posts: 17
    Accepted Answer
    Have you gotten your cat checked for thyroid or diabetes?? I was also told you want to give your cat a variety of food. dry food is ALL CARBS so giving them both wet food and dry food is actually better for them. r/d helps loose the weight and there are not as many carbs. it could be the prepscription diet my cat got very sick from eating r/d. bc i was very concerned about his weight too. good luck