My cat is about 5 months old and she has worms, they are coming out of her behind and on her tail th

Celia ArrabitCelia Arrabit santa rosaMember Posts: 1
I don't have any money to take her to the vet right now is there any home remidies that might help until I can take her on the lst

Best Answers

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Well, you now know your cat has worms. Many cats have worms and their owners don't notice. Only your vet can determine the type of worm and the medicine necessary. OTC worm treatments don't work well. Vet-prescribed worm treatments work AND are cheap (here in Japan, you only need one dose for roundworms, and it's about $4). The vet fee is higher, of course. If you're that poor, you should economize elsewhere or not have a cat. I only have experience with roundworms, but whatever they are, if they are moving, they are alive. There is a possibility of roundworms getting into YOUR body, where, if you're unlucky, they go for the heart or liver. This can result in death (yours).Tapeworms can also infect you or your children. Don't you think a vet fee is worth it, not just for the cat, but for YOU?
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    Unfortunately your cat needs to see a vet to find out what worm you are dealing with and only then can you get proper treatment. You can try over the counter meds but in the end they may not work and your money would be wasted. If the worms looked like grains of rice then we can assume tapeworm. These segments will dry up and look like sesame seeds. Get your cat on a flea preventive, fleas carry tapeworm. Seeking medical attention when your pet obviously needs it is a requirement when you decide to adopt a pet. I know you love your cat but sometimes love isn't enough. You need to find a way to get your cat to the vet for proper treatment to rid her of these nasty worms. Also you need to know some worms can be transmitted to humans so you need to get treatment ASAP.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    If you've got a vet but just can't afford a visit right now take some of the worms into the office and see of the vet will give you the worming tablets without an exam. The worming tablets are pretty cheap so if the vet will sell you them without an exam you should be able to get them now and get her treated. There really aren't any home remedies taht work for worms. Also she's getting to the age when she should be spayed. Make sure to check out low cost spay/neuter services in your area. The SPCA and other shelters/rescues often do spays for less than $50 and you may also be able to get them to sell/give you worming tablets as they do a basic vet check before the spay. That would take care of everything in one go and save you the cost of a separate vet visit. Good luck with your cat and hopefullty the suggestions above help you get her the treatments she needs.