what to do..?my land lord wants my kitten declawed

my land lord told me today i have to declaw my kitten to keep her here... i am very against it and we are moving in two months any ways but she says declaw or get rid of her and i dont want to do either my last cat i had for 14 years and i took alot for me to even keep this one. i get very attatched very easily..ive tried talking to her and she wont change her mind..

Best Answers

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Do you have any family or a friend who can take her in for the two months? Have you given your landlord your notice? She can't really ask you to do that if you won't live there for much longer. Tell her you will put softpaws on her as a half measure. Then direct her to some literature on it. That might soften her up.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    Tenants and pets have rights and you need to find them out. Landlords at times try and get around these rules and before you do anything phone your city hall and find out where you stand. I don't know where you live but here in Ontario once you start renting a place the landlord cannot evict you for getting a pet or force declawing (never even heard of this), even if you have signed a no pet lease. If it were me, I'd tell the landlord to stick it, your leaving anyway. Does your lease state you need to declaw any cat coming into the home? I have no idea what your rights are has a tenant where you live but make some calls and find out yourself. All my best.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    Accepted Answer
    My sister's landlord told her to get her cat declawed- she told him that the cat was already declawed (she is not). The landlord never asked to see the cat's feet for proof. Since you are leaving in 2 months- maybe you could tell him you have a vet appointment to stall him? Or tell him you have to save the money first? You really only need a short term solution.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    Accepted Answer
    since you're just trying to limp through the next two months...for one thing, do not seek out your landlord and try to explain or argue or plead. your landlord is a bully, and it is best to engage such people as little as possible. if she does come to you again, present her with the soft paws option. or tell her you have a kennel (they're handy anyway) and gidget kitty lives in there when she' s not under your watchful eye, because YOU value HER property. a blank stare would go well there, or a sunny grin, depending on your level of sarcasm skillz. try the "i have an appointment/need to get up the money" thing. if she comes back after that, have suitably stained (get creative) gauze mittens to pop onto your kitty, and show her-yes, i have mutilated her as ordered. no, you may not touch, as I am NOT declawed. researching the relevant law is an excellent idea-yes, you DO have rights. but, like i said, if you're just trying to stall...ignore, ignore-then try silliness and chicanery.
  • Carol DominickCarol Dominick PittsburghMember Posts: 13
    Accepted Answer
    Ignore the landlord, but in the meantime, make sure your kitten's nails are trimmed once a week to prevent any damage that may occur. If you can't do it, take her to Petco; they will do it for $10. I believe there is presently a bill out there that would prevent all vets from declawing cats.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the others check with City Hall to confirm what your rights are and check your lease to make sure there's nothing in there requiring declawing. She can decide to only rent to people with no pets/declawed pets but I'm pretty sure it won't be legal to require you to get surgery done on Gidget. If you haven't handed in your notice yet you may as well do it and that should get her off your back as she'll know you're leaving. Use all the excuses suggested and don't get Gidget declawed just because of your land lady.