my cornish rex kitten passes gas and her poop smells horible could it be caused by her food

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Of course you should always check with your vet if this is something that just started happening. If you have houseplants or if your cat goes out, gas and smelly stools can be caused by ingesting plants. Most likely though it is caused by the wet food you may be feeding her. Call your vet and ask if you can slowly change her diet to a dry/wet mix. But only change her diet on the vet's recommendations. It's always a good idea to check with your vet to rule out digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    I can assume your kitten has had an exam from a vet and dewormed. I think if your cats food is full of fillers (grains), by-products and other nasties, their poop will smell really bad. Both my pets are on holistic food and their waste has very little smell and they poop less which is awesome. Dry food may also help with the gas and only give wet a few times a week. Have a good one.
  • Paige BritegamPaige Britegam Member Posts: 42
    Accepted Answer
    Hi there! I also have a Cornish Rex kitten, my little Simon is now five months old. For the first few weeks I had him he had terrible gas! The breeder fed him a home made diet, and in my opinion it was just his stomach adjusting to a drastic diet change. I wouldn't worry about it, if you start to notice additional problems then a vet check may be in order, otherwise, I wouldn't put too much stock in gas! Good luck with your little one. Simon is a handful, I've never encountered another breed of cat with such energy, have fun!