What reactions to Sergeants Gold squeeze on

Member Posts: 1
A friend 'helped me out' and gave me some Sergeants Gold squeeze on for my 10 year old cat. She has fleas, the frontline didn't help.Is it safe to give ? If not WHY ?how effective is it? Will it cause a rash ? please help ThankQ Talum And her Mom Laverne

Best Answers

• Kitty_Pryde_and_JackKitty_Pryde_and_Jack los angelesMember Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I wouldn't use Sergeants. When I got my first kitty, she had fleas and the only thing that got rid of them was Advantage. You can also try Revolution, which I think is avail. at the vet's office. I first bought Sergeants because Petco was closed for the night and I didn't know anything about flea care honestly and if it was safe to wait till the next day. Her neck where I put it got all greasy and gross-It pretty much never dried and I didn't even use the whole application because she was so tiny! When I took her to the vets for her first visit, they washed it off her and said that the regular store brands aren't good because they get absorbed in the skin and the into the bloodstream, she clearly still had fleas, she was also scratching at the application spot constantly, and that they tend to irritate-obviously what happened to her. I don't like Frontline for my cats but I would give a try to Advantage or Revolution. I like Advantage and heard good things about Rev. Good luck!

Kitty Pryde and Jack

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    If you have already applied the Frontline, then do NOT apply a second product or it could be toxic. I would not feel comfortable with anything made by Hartz or Seargents and they are definitely not going to be more effective than any of the ones you normally get at the vet like Advantage, Frontline, etc. If your cat was going to have a bad reaction to the Seargents, it would be more neurological symptoms. Not a rash. You would need to watch out for lethargy, tremors, or seizure.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    Accepted Answer
    I wonder if you used Frontline or Frontline Plus- because there is a difference. Frontline Plus actually kills feas, eggs & larva- which breaks the life cycle of the flea. Frontline only kills adult fleas. Also, if the infestation is really bad- it can take a while to get rid of fleas-you may need to treat the house. I would not use the Sergeants either- I have had good results with Revolution & my mom uses Frontline Plus for her cats with success. Good luck!
  • Marie PeppersMarie Peppers the valleyMember Posts: 1,164
    Accepted Answer
    Hi - I don't like Sargeants or Frontline for fleas on cats or dogs: I use D.Earth all natural powder / low cost and very safe. NOT a drug at all or poison: see here for more info on D.E.: ( Diatomaceous - Earth) http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/3/fleas-Diatomaceous-Earth-canine.htm
  • Melanie GerryMelanie Gerry Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    Do not use this product on your cat! I just used it last night, and 3 out of 4 of my cats are having adverse side effects. I am not sure which brand is best, I am at the point where I think I will only use herbal flea Rx's in the future.