good medication for earmites i tried all kinds even from the vet

Member Posts: 1

Best Answers

• MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Try Revolution. I found that to be the best. Earmites are hard to get rid of. Revolution is a flea and worming treatment but also tackles earmites. Your vet clinic should have it. Good luck.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Just be really careful with anything you can get anywhere OTHER than your vet. It contains a highly toxic chemical and my vet said that if I had followed the instructions and used as much as they said to, my cat could have ingested it and it would have killed her. I had bought some at Petsmart because it was a weekend and I couldn't get to the vet until Monday but then I chickened out because I didn't trust the smell and I was afraid to use it on my babies. My vet uses Milbemite and it took several applications to get rid of the nasty little buggers. I finally got smart and realized the cats were just passing them back and forth. (I have 5) I insisted that they treat them all in one visit and then they were gone. My vet also does a thorough ear cleaning first even though some of those products say that you don't need to. They get all the goop out and then the medicine can go to work easier.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You may need to treat for the earmites more than one time. I know that with worming,sometimes it takes 2 or 3 doses before the worms are gone. Also, as Allie says, the ears have to be thoroughly cleaned before the medication can do it's work. If you are treating for earmites yourself, you need to purchase an otoscope (one of those ear things the doc sticks in your ear during an exam) to make sure the ears are clean. You can fnd them at Drs. Foster & Smith.
  • Angela FennerAngela Fenner ColumbiaMember Posts: 27
    Accepted Answer
    My vet gives me Ivermectin .01% drops. I have used this on rescues thats ears were infested and it worked great! it usually only takes one time (a dropperful in each ear for adults 1/2 for kittens) but for stubborn cases you may need to re do it again in 2 weeks. I would never ever use an over the counter medicine! they are not safe, always admimister meds under a vets supervision. Good luck :)
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Have the vet check for ear infections. Sometimes ear mites and ear infections will go hand in hand, or the former causes the latter. Gracie had ear mites but they weren't caught for a week or so, and after that it seemed like what the vet had prescribed did little to take care of her ears. As it turns out the mites were gone, but she had developed an irritation from all the meds used, and it bloomed into an ear infection when she scratched a little too hard. The vet suggested a different set of drops to alleviate the symptoms for Gracie so she would leave her ears alone. It took a couple more weeks, but her ears started getting better. Like Allie suggested, Revolution is not a bad idea. I know that for us, it has prevented re-infections.
  • sharron taylorsharron taylor dagenhamMember Posts: 21
    Accepted Answer
    fullers earth, because it does not hold any disease such as fip and usually kills the disease in a matter of seconds others will hold disease in the clumping for up to seven days. Read Dr Dianne Addie. Especially if more than one cat uses it.Best if luck for once the cheapest is the best.