Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I have a cat in renal failure. When it is his time to go to kitty heaven, how do I let his 2 girl ki

Lisa CopelandLisa Copeland Fall RiverMember Posts: 5
Charlie is the cat in renal failure; and his girls are sisiters, MaMa & Torti. Should I take the 2 girls with me to the vet, if he is euthanized, or should I do nothing. The three of them are very, very close, and I don't want my girls to get sick, or worse. If you have been through this, or know anything about this; PLEASE, PLEASE help me get an aswer to this. I want to be prepared in every way. Not that any type of preperation will comfort me, but I want to know how to comfort my other cats. It would be truly appreciated!!!!

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    I've just invited Charlie to the Olde Furts group which is for senior kitties and I think you'll be able to get some good advice from other members who've gone through similar experiences. Sorry to hear that Charlie has CRF. Hopefully he still has months or years more but when the time comes one option you should consider is to arrange for your vet to come to your house to do the euthanasia. This would be less stressful for Charlie and also you could let your other cats see him so they don't just see him go to the vet and never come back.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I really feel for you and Charlie. My Kitty died of CRF a decade ago. It's hard to make any judgment without knowing more details, but we live in Japan where euthanasia is not that common. Kitty started going into a coma on Saturday and was totally out of it until she died on Tuesday. My mother died of lung cancer, but actual "cause" of death was probably the moment her kidneys failed her. You get an inbalance of electrolytes, and the heart simply stops as if a plug has been pulled. When my mother died, the people at the hospice said it was an ideal way to pass away. This all sounds morbid and cruel, but you may not need to consider euthanasia at all. Take other people's advice too---but as horrible as it sounds, CRF can lead to a fairly painless death. Again, my prayers are with you.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You have my absolute heartfelt sympathy for what you are going through right now. I went through it with my Shizzie, my first cat. When this happens to an animal who can't communicate by words, we have to trust that we know our kitty well enough to read the signs that he no longer has any quality of life. With Shizzie, it was that he hid in my closet and stopped eating. I called my vet immediately and took him in. I trust my vet explicitly to know for sure when my animals have no chance of recovery. As for taking your girls in with you, I wouldn't. This is the time for Charlie and you. They will be at home when you get there and the three of you will mourn together and recover together. You will instinctively know what the girls need from you and they will know what you need from them. It's a process that takes time. There is no "wrong" or "right" way to do it. Please don't hesitate to post to Catster (The Forums ARE an excellent place to go) for help and comfort whenever you need us!
  • Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    Accepted Answer
    My old Terri passed away this october of CRF. She has many other health problems leading to it but she seemed to be doing ok. The other catster posted excellent advice. It maybe painless for charlie to pass on his own suddenly, but if it starts to drag on and you can see he is loosing his will the thrive, you may want to take it upon yourself to help him. My old Terri stopped eating and would just sleep all the time. My mother, who was taking care of her since I havent lived at home for year jsut knew in her heart Terri was saying she had to go and mom took her to the vet. Now terri is still with us in an urn in the office, her favorite place to hang out with my mom. If Charlie is still eating and drinking and going to the bathroom normal, he might still have some time to be with you.
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    Accepted Answer
    Is Charlie in any kind of pain right now? I have heard of many cats living many many years with CRF. I sometimes wonder what I am going to do when it is time for one of my cats to go to kitty heaven. I think it will be hard for all of us because we are all very close. Have you visited the following website for the vast info regarding Feline CRF http://www.felinecrf.com/ Here are a few Feline CRF support groups you may want to join for support http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FelineCRF/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=2 http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-crf-info/?v=1&t=search&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=group&slk=1
  • Nicole CarmicleNicole Carmicle Member Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    Don't take the other cats there, it'd be too stressfull for them and you. If the vet lets you bring the dead animal home, (I don't know, I live in poverty, and when our cats are terminal, we put them down ourselves.) then allow for a 'viewing' of sorts. This is what we did for our dead cats. If you don't then it is possible that they'll run around, meowing and looking for him, like my cat Tayor did after his twin sister, Ginger, died of pyometra. Eventually, they'll get it that he's dead, but it'll be a lot more painfull that way. Trust me, I've had 57 pet cats in my life, I know these things. I'm sorry if this answer is a little coarse, I'm a coarse, blunt person.