Should I get rid of the litterbox?

My cat uses the litterbox and he goes outside as well, we have a doggy door so he can go outside almost anytime he likes.. So should i take the litterbox away? im afraid he will go all over the house. He once went in my bed, #1 & #2, when i was sleeping. But i think it was because i usually leave the door a little open so he can go use the litterbox but someone closed my door. That was the only time he has ever done anything like that. Any advice would help, thank you!!

Best Answers

• MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I had to slowly move the litter box closer and closer to the pet door and I also slowly added bark to the top layer of the kitty litter. Luckily it all went well and it wasn't an issue. But if they insisted on using it, I was going to put it just outside the door just with dirt and bark but it never got that far and I was able to put it all away. Luckily we live in a safe area for cats, and a fair distance from the road.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    My son's cat is in/out as well, but he still uses the box in the basement. Cole is a "wussy" and when it's raining or snowing or just plain cold outside, he won't go out. But, he still has to go "potty", so he needs the box. If Milo knows he has to go outside to potty, then you probably don't need the box. But, if he goes outside just to have a good time, then I'd keep it just in case and make sure he knows where it is. Look at it this way--if he doesn't use it then you don't have to clean it. But it's there if he needs it just in case.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    Accepted Answer
    I say never get rid of your indoor box.. as with everyfur, there could be a time when he cant get outside, so the litterbox is your emergency situation box. (id rather it be in the box, than anywhere else.)