Wellness Cat Food: good and bad?

Family SelymesFamily Selymes KentMember Posts: 3,077
edited 19 April, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
We're considering switching from Nature's Variety kibble (who we trust for dog food) to Wellness kibble. Wellness seems to have a lot more protein sources in it, and compared to NV's 34% protein, Wellness has 39.6%. Right? So what do you cats think? We have one overweight adult and one finicky adult and they both like salmon, X and o shapes. In a taste test, Wellness Salmon beat out all competition... We just heard maybe someone was having problems with it?? We feed Merrick wet canned food... any problems with that?

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 19 April, 2007
    As long as you are doing well on a food, then there is no need to change just for a higher content of something. A high protein content may also mean a higher content of something else, like carbs or calories. Both Wellness and Nature's Variety are both very good foods. You can compare the nutrional analysis of both foods here: Dry food chart. I suggest going with either Wellness CORE or Nature's Variety Raw Instinct. Both are grain-free dry foods. If you need to lose some weight, dry foods may not help at all. Dry foods are very high in calories, sometimes up to 400 calories per cup of food :-O Eating a mostly canned food diet will help you lose weight as many brands of canned foods are low in calories. You can see the canned food chart here. Limiting calorie intake to about 20 calories per pound of ideal body weight will help you lose weight. It is important to lose weight slowly. Rapid weight loss can result in serious health problems. Here is a post about how one cat lost weight on a Fancy Feast canned only diet: I lost 8 pounds on Fancy Feast. Merrick is a good brand of canned food. I don't personally like it but many other felines do. Wellness and Nature's Variety and other brands are also very good, higher quality canned foods.