Hyperthyroid cat

Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
My Cleo has a hyperthyroid. She is on meds, but I noticed that before she got diagnosed she was pulling out her fur on her back and sucking on it. She has only been on the meds for a few days, but she is still pulling out her fur. Is there anyway to help her stop this? She is going to make herself bald. I have tried vaseline, but she still pulls it out. Any ideas?

Best Answers

• Alice KehmAlice Kehm LenhartsvilleMember Posts: 159
    Accepted Answer
    I have never had a cat that was hyperthyroid . Maybe you can use one of those elizabeth cones that they (vets) put on animals when they need the cats to not bother an injury. It might help until the medicine kicks in and the fur grows back.
  • patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    Call your vet and tell him what is going on. He may have to try different medications for Cleo. He may also have some good ideas on how to stop Cleo from pulling out he fur.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Definitely contact your vet. Since Cleo was pulling out her fur before she went on medication, it would seem that the thyroid medication is not working, or that she has another health problem. Cats with OCD are known to groom themselves until they are bald. Antidepressants such as "Kitty Prozac" are often prescribed for such cases, and seem to work for many cats. Meanwhile, an e-collar will help stop the behavior, but Cleo will not be happy with it.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds like Cleo is stressed out. Have you thought about what might be going on in your life or home that may have stressed her? All cats are sensitive to change, but some cats handle it better than others. If she's not gouging at her skin and causing raw spots, it doesn't sound like it itches which could mean an allergic reaction to something. It sounds like she's stressed and looking for comfort somewhere. I wouldn't use Vaseline as some cats really love the taste and some people give it to their cats as a hairball remedy. She may, as Chibi said, need to be on an anti-anxiety med for a short time. Definitely call your vet!