seasonal flu, is it contagious?

Karina van TwiskKarina van Twisk Quito EcuadorMember Posts: 28
I got a terrible flu, and was wondering if is ok to touch and pet my lovely cats while i have this virus. I am little afraid I could transmit them something. I know it's not swine flu at least.. but nowadays with so many pandemics around one can never be so sure.

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Swine flu can be passed from humans to cats but seasonal flu can't. So as long as you're sure it's not swine flu you are OK and won't infect your cats.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    There actually are no substantiated cases of a cat contracting H1N1 from a human. Humans passing this sort of virus to an animal is very rare. Cats can, however, contract H5N1, also known as "bird flu" from birds outside or other cats who have it. I wouldn't deny myself the comfort of petting my kitties, just take the regular hand-washing and not sneezing or coughing on them precautions. If you are very worried, you can always call their vet for reassurance.