Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

can an older, fixed, female cat live in harmony with a younger, unfixed, male cat?

Member Posts: 1
SMOKEY - is my 4 year old, Siamese/Persion, long furred black cat, whom is very loving and curios. He spent the first year of his life with his brother and sister, the last year and a half with his, now larger and fixed brother, the get along for the most part. other than that he's been the only cat around. JENVINVE - is a 16 year old, Tortus Shell, short furred cat, whom is used to getting her way. She was raised by an older, fixed male cat, for the first 12 years of her life, whom she adored. He died 4 years ago and she's been solo ever since.

Best Answers

• patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    The best thing to do is get the male fixed. They can get along together great if he is fixed. Unfixed males are by nature more aggresive and have that sexual urge. There are low cost spay/nueter clinics around. Call around and find a low cost one. Please get the male fixed. If something happens that he gets out, he will not be able to mate, and there will be less unwanted cats around.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Max is right. Unless you area professional breeder who plans to breed this cat, you need to get him fixed for many reasons. It will make things much easier for everyone involved.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    First of all, why don't you have Smokey fixed? If he's already 4 years old and not marking your house with urine, or trying to get outside to impregnate the local females, then consider yourself lucky. I myself have a mature, intact male who doesn't do either of those things, but I am using him for breeding purposes. Neutering is said to cut down on testicular cancer, but--surprise!--it's because they don't have testicles. Fixed males are said to be more affectionate than unfixed ones. Considering the pluses and minuses, I would recommend neutering. It's a simple surgical procedure--Harvey had his surgery in the morning, and was alert and very much himself by the afternoon. His incision was closed by surgical glue, and he was more puzzled by the fact that he had been shaved down there than by the loss of the family jewels. Neutering is much cheaper than spaying, and cat rescue groups will introduce you to cheap options.