i have a 10 mo. old kitten ( & her mom), the brother of my kitten ( tara) lives across the hall. any

tammy gonzalestammy gonzales des moinesMember Posts: 8
what are the chances of having deformed/retarted kits.

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    There's a higher risk of genetic/congenital issues but if she's already accidentally become pregnant by her brother the kittens will probably be OK. If not getting her and her mom fixed as soon as possible is the best approach and then they won't go into heat and you won't have to worry about accidents. If you contact your local SPCA they'll be able to give you info on low cost spay clinics in your area. If you want more kittens the SPCA and other rescues are always looking for people to foster litters of kittens. That would give you all the kitten time you could want without adding to the pet overpopulation issue.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Your question is a bit hard to understand, but if you're trying to say that Tara and her brother seem to be having a relationship, PLEASE get Tara spayed NOW--if she isn't already. No, inbreeding does not always cause birth defects--professional breeders occasionally use it as a way to create a certain "look" for their line. Inbreeding is also common among cats in feral colonies. But I don't recommend it--it can just reinforce any negative genetic traits that Tara and her brother might have. I see from your profile that you were able to rehome all of Momcat's litter and kept Tara because she was special to you. That's being responsible. But you'll find that, if you have another litter, you may not be able to rehome the kittens quite so easily. Speaking as a breeder, finding homes for kittens can be quite difficult at times. If Tara is spayed, there should be no problem with her visiting her brother. And if I misinterpreted your message, please forgive me.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Sassy and Leila are right. If you have the cats spayed or neutered, you will no longer have the issues and the worries of accidental pregnancies. Many shelters have special days they do low-cost (or free) spay or neuters. Call around to see if you can get your cats in or if they can tell you when you can. If Tara's kittens are OK, down the line those kittens may give birth to unhealthy ones and even if they don't, our country doesn't need any more kittens. There are plenty to go around, even if everyone in our country had 9 cats/kittens, there would still be some left...