Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

About the Answers/ for Question about colors of kittens ?

Hi and I was planning on keeping the kittens myself if they mated and I do understand about the overpopulated in Shelters if they mated the kittens would stay in my home ,and thanks both of you for the answers I was wondering what the kittens would like I would hoping to have one look like Charlotte and one Like Shadow or a mixure of both LOL ! but still thinking about fixing them yet or letting them mate thanks for the help hugs Debbie

Best Answers

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    There are a number of Internet sites that will inform you about cat color genetics, but I am not intelligent enough to figure them out. I don't remember the name, but there's one site where you can enter the color class for the parent cats and get a prediction about what colors their kittens could be. Google "cat color genetics" and you'll probably find it. However, you have to know about cat color genetic theory and nomenclature before you can use the site effectively. (I failed the test.) And, you have to take into account the colors of the parents' ancestors. Breeder acquaintances of mine bred a white cat with a tortie, and ended up with a red tabby (say what???), a white cat, and a silver tabby (double say what???). Apparently there was a silver tabby somewhere in their genetic backgrounds. Robinson's "Genetics for Cat Breeders" is the standard text, but very expensive. Think of it as Christmas--you never know what you're going to get until the package is opened.
  • patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    Genetics is a strange and wonderful thing. Your kittens might not even look like the father or the mother. Since they are not purebreds anything is possible. You could only guess what they may look like and you may be dissapointed when they don't look like what you think they should look like.
  • Bill KaplanBill Kaplan Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Charlotte is a very cute kitty. But as others have stated cat color/pattern genetics are complicated. There are some excellent web sites that will explain some of the variations. Wikipedia is good place to start. To give you an idea about the complexities there at least 3 color genes for cats, Black, White and Orange. There is also a gene that diminishes the color turning Black into brown and orange into cream. The white gene makes cats albino. But both parents have toe have the albino gene to have an albino cat. Then the is a modification to the albino gene that causes kitties to look like me, color point or Siamese looking. but I'm from Siam I'm from Colorado. Both parents have to have color paint gene to get a Siamese looking cat. Then there are pattern variation like a spotted cat or a white spotted cat which may "overwrite" any other genetic pattern. So I would say love your pretty kitty and if you choose to bread enjoy the verieties.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Both of your cats are very young. While I do not agree with doing it at all even if you keep the kittens, please wait until Charlotte is over a year old before allowing them to mate. She will be capable of becoming pregnant when she first goes in to heat which may be any time now. But she may not be capable of carrying a litter and giving birth to healthy kittens until she is at least a year old. She is still a baby herself with lots of growing to do. For her sake and the health of any possible kittens, don't let it happen too young. Please also know that unspayed females are at risk for mammary cancer, uterine cancer and uterine infections. There are many reasons why I do not breed my cats even though they are purebreds. And they are all spayed by 6 months for their health and well being even though I do not have any males and there is no risk of pregnancy.
  • Sophie VeilleuxSophie Veilleux Member Posts: 182
    Accepted Answer
    Here's an idea.. don't mate them, get them fixed. Then, go to your local overpopulated shelter and adopt as many kittens as you want with the colours that you would want them to be if you were to mate the ones you have. That way everyone is happy:D And no, its not more expensive that way because shots, checkups and neutering/spaying comes to much more than having it already done by a shelter.