How old is too old for a foster mom cat to suckle a kitten? Can anything bad happen if she keeps doi

I have a spayed 7 year old siamese who "adopted" an male orphaned kitten a friend gave us at 5 weeks old. After 2 days with us he was in her cat bed with her suckling. Both have there regular vet checkups and he is a big healthy 8 month old boy..... who still suckles. She seems to be his pacifier and it seems very comforting to them both and they are very close to eachother. Can this continued suckling of an almost adult cat cause the siamese any health problems?

Best Answers

• patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    Your siamese would have been a great mom. I really don't know how long this behavior should last. I would think that when the time is right your siamese would let him know that the suckling is over. I don't see how it could cause any health problems. When you see your vet ask him what he thinks about this behavior. I would ask my vet and keep an eye on their health.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I can't really answer your question about Siamese. I breed Maine Coons, and have four intact females (= queens). When Leila gave birth for the first time, to seven healthy kittens, she weaned them right on schedule--at about two months. After that, her younger sister Chibi took over and started nursing them. Chibi is intact, but at that point had never given birth. She nursed the kittens for about another month. I've read in breeder manuals that you should feel free to let your Momcat nurse the kittens as long as she wants to. On the other hand, my breeder friends have told me that having Chibi nurse Leila's kittens could have resulted in a hormonal balance which caused her disastrous birth last August--three out of seven kittens died. Since your cat is spayed, you don't have to worry about that. I'm an exponent of letting cats use their intuition. I'm not a vet, but if I were you, I'd let Emily Elizabeth do her thing. Or consult your vet. Good luck!