My cat has chronic respiratory infections. Her eye has a clear discharge and she has a runny nose.

Jennifer MikusJennifer Mikus PittsburghMember Posts: 30
I have already taken her to the vet at least twice with this problem. And after a shot of antibiotics, she won't take them any other way, she gets better. Her temperature is normal. She still eats a bit, not as much as usual. I can tell she is all stuffed up, like a head cold. She also sneezes a lot, and sometimes she wheezes. That is the scary part. I know we need another trip to the vet. But, I don't even know what tests to ask for and is it even healthy for her to have to receive antibiotics so often, even though, it helps her, at least for a month or two. The vet thinks she may have allergies too. And is there some way I can relieve her stuffy nose at least between vet visits. She also gets lysine supplements for her immune system. I really don't know what to do to help her. Any suggestions would help,besides going back to the vet, which I am doing.

Best Answer

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Upper respiratory infections (URIs) can be either viral or bacterial in nature. Viral infections are treated with lysine (in the U.S.) or with liquid Interferon (in Japan, where I live). One of the most common causes of URIs is the feline herpes virus. There is a test available to tell if your cat is carrying this virus. Unfortunately, herpes lingers on forever--as people who had chickenpox as children and then shingles as adults can attest to. Cats with a herpes URI may or may not have recurrences--which may be triggered by stress. I think you need to have your vet give more specific care--in my experience (and I'm not a vet), bacterial infections result in yellowish eye discharge. Your kitty would seem to me to have either a viral infection or an allergy. She may also have a weakened immune system (due, possibly, to FIV or FeLV). Either get your vet to be a bit more on the ball regarding tests and diagnoses, or get another vet. A second opinion is never a bad idea.