URIs and human conjuntivitis?

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
My kittens and Currier have been sneezing recently and some have slightly runny noses. Today I went to the vet and they all got Interferon shots. By coincidence, I have the worst case of conjunctivitis I've ever had--my eyes are so bloodshot that I can hardly see, and the yellowish greenish discharge that comes out seals my lids shut while I sleep. In my case, it's obviously a bacterial infection. I don't know what is causing my cats' sneezing and runny noses--it could be viral or bacterial in nature. Years ago, my roommate, my cat, and I all got conjunctivitis at the same time, and (I was in my early 20's then, and my judgment wasn't too good), my roommate and I shared the ointment that my cat had been prescribed, and we all got better! I suspect that the cause may be not washing my hands well enough after cleaning the litter boxes. Also, this is cedar pollen season, which gives me itchy eyes anyway. And the cats have begun to shed, and cat hairs in my eyes hurt. Any ideas?

Best Answers

• Patricia CarnleyPatricia Carnley Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    Several suggestions: 1) brush the cat regularly (no, they won't approve) 2) use a low-dust litter 3) clean the litter box daily 4) wash your hands AND FACE after cleaning the box 5) if necessary, take a Claritin as a preventive measure. My eyes have driven me nutz since I got my 2 indoor cats and my allergist and opthalmologist basically agree on the above mentioned practices. While not a cure by any means, they do help. There are days when my eyes are worse, but they've gotten a lot better since I started using the "natural" litter more so than the regular clumping stuff. I also got some of the Allergy Cat Cleaning Cloths from the pet store and rub each of the cats off once every couple of weeks with one. This also helps some.
  • Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    One more think you can try is putting paper towels in the bathroom and not using the cloth ones. I'm subject to conjunctivits also and I haven't had a single case since I swapped paper for cloth.