I recently adopted an adult Russian Blue. Could the br eed have greyish colored gums?

Member Posts: 2
He does have upper respitory illness and I'm hoping it's not related to gum color!

Best Answers

• Whispurr SosaWhispurr Sosa Member Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    No, you cat should not have grayish colored gums. Have a vet take a look. There may be other problems and they can be taken care of quickly before they develop into something worse.
  • Amanda SundbergAmanda Sundberg TulsaMember Posts: 257
    Accepted Answer
    it is perfectly normal to have pigmented gums. Which is not to say that your gray gums are okay, just that its possible they are. Are they dark gray or so pale they're gray? Pale gums are a sign of extreme anemia and they need to be rushed to a vet IMMEDIATELY. However, Bella's gums are mostly black and brown.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I don't know much about Russian Blues, but dark colored cats often have pigmented gums. My generic brown tabby Spot has blackish gums which match his black lips and the black around his eyes. Having said that, I would recommend you take your cat to the vet just to get him checked up on.
  • Kate BKate B Member Posts: 42
    Accepted Answer
    I have a pedigree Russian Blue from a breeder and his gums are the normal pink color of any healthy cat. So, no gray gums are not due to his breed. Gray gums are often a sign of illness. Since he's being treated for a URI have the Vet check his gums also.