How long is too long for a bottle fed 3 week old kitten to not urinate or defecate?

Member Posts: 1
I have a momma cat who was raising her litter of one -- and doing very well. It is a fat roly poly little kitten. Anyway, momma cat darted out the door last night and hasn't come back. I've read about how to take care of kittens, and I got the kitten to take a bottle this afternoon, but I haven't seen her urinate or defecate. I have been using a warm wash cloth, tried the slightly damp cotton balls, and the kitten is not "going". I called the vet and they just seemed worried about making sure she didn't get dehydrated. So how long is too long? The kitten seems very content to stay in her "nest" and is very happy. She's crawl walking -- not super stable. I would really like for momma cat to come back! But assuming she doesn't -- when should I start worrying about the kitten not pooping?

Best Answer

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    This kitten needs your help until (and if) momma cat comes back. First, keep the kitten warm in a small confined area (a box large enough for kitten and momma cat). Second, this kitten will need kitten replacement formula at least every 2 hours. At this age the kitten will cry alot and let you know when it wants to eat. You should call your vet back and take the kitten there to be checked out. The kitten will pee on its own, but will need some stimulation on its rectal area so it will relax and learn to poop. I would definitely seek veterinarian help. Do they know of anyone who can foster the kitten? Maybe a client of theirs recently had kittens and could be fostered by another nursing mother cat. I certainly wish you the best and hope momma cat comes back very soon. Thanks for caring for this little baby and its mom.