My cat dragged her bum across the ground and left a poop streak - need to take her to the vet?

This happened about a year ago once, I decided to wait and see if it happened again before taking her to the vet, and it didn't so I let it go. Last month I found a poop streak on the carpet with a hint of blood, and some blood in her stool so I took her to the vet, who did some tests on her fecal matter and said she was fine....now I found another poop streak, no blood though. What should I do?

Best Answers

• Rebecca MarieRebecca Marie LimaMember Posts: 64
    Accepted Answer
    I would go to the vet again, and ask him why she's doing this.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    She may get infected or impacted anal glands occasionally and need to have them expressed. If they have had loose poop or diarrhea the anal glands can get impacted or infected. Generally when a cat drags it's butt on the rug, something is bothering them. Could be parasites, anal gland issues, or just a dirty butt she couldn't clean herself but cats don't commonly do it like dogs do. (My Mom's poodle does it all the time...ugh!) I would keep an eye on it and give the vet a call if she seems to be having trouble in the litterbox, seems to be grooming her bottom a lot or does another poop streak on the floor.
  • Holli SandsHolli Sands Member Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the answer before me. Im going to school to become a Vet Assistant, and we just got done learning about this. More than likely it is her anal glands. You can have those removed if this continues. The only purpose they serve is to scent their poop. Thats why animals are always smelling other animals and their poop.