Is it normal for a mother cat to kick and bite at her 2-week old kitten? More details below...

Member Posts: 1
I picked up a young pregnant stray about a month ago. She had 3 beautiful kittens 2 weeks ago and everything went well. About 3 days ago she went into heat again. One of the kittens is really adventurous and will get up and try to walk around. A few times now I've seen this sequence of events: Mama Nina will sit outside their kitten area and watch them, cooing a bit. Little Guy gets up and wobbles on over to her (their box only has a short wall on one side). When he gets to her, Mama starts licking him hard & then playing rough, biting his neck & kicking at him with her back legs & he cries out. I've heard cats do this either to punish their kittens or to teach them how to hunt. But he seems way too young at 2 weeks. Does this have something to do with her being in heat, or does she think the little guy is ready to play because he made it out of his box? Is there anything I should do (make it harder for kittens to escape maybe?), or should I trust Mama Nina to do the right thing?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I'd guess that it's more about Mama being in heat than trying to teach LG anything. Kicking with the back legs is a defensive posture for a cat. If you turn a cat over on its back and try to rub it's stomach, you'll get a clawing and biting reaction from any cat. I don't recall ever hearing that that's how they teach the young ones to hunt or punish them. Mama usually hisses and walks away if they annoy her. Are you certain she's "cooing", or could she be growling? In any case, I'd be very vigilant with Mama Nina, especially around Little Guy. You may have to call a local shelter to see if they have a lactating queen and send him away for a bit for his own safety.
  • jason nelsjason nels Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    Momma cat plays an important role in a kittens development. Not only will she nourish the kittens with milk, warmth and frequent cleanings, She will also encourage and teach playfulness to ensure proper development of muscles and bones. Momma is excited and happy to see her offspring out exploring, this kitten is strong and can teach the others to do the same. But please always consult a professional for your Queen and litters safety and health.