My cat is very old.Today I was petting my cat and I found a lose claw.I pulled it off.Is it serious?

Trouble is 17 years old,almost 18. She is deaf and yowls very early in the morning.

Best Answers

• Timmy_TomcatTimmy_Tomcat Plymouth Meeting 19462Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    What you have is the cover of the claw. Kitty is most likely a bit lax in this part of grooming. Actually 17 is not really old! The big thing is making sure her teeth are in good shape with a visit to the vet. Her yowl are most likely a way of greeting the day and if you give her a pet she will settle in. Again a regular check up is in order if this is a change or she has not had one in a bit. Cats are very routine oriented. Use your own daily routine to set hers. Make sure you approach her from the front so not to scare her and allow for her deafness. Things will be fine. I have had my past kitties live to old ages being very healthy and happy girls and boys. My Inky was 21 years young!
  • Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    The same thing happened with Steinem when she was about 10 years old. I actually heard her rip the claw cover off. After checking her out and finding all of her claws in place, I called her vet and described what had happened. The vet said not to worry. She was a long time patient of the vet and got regular check-ups and shots. There was no Catster and the knowledgeable members then. In fact computers had not come into general usage by the general public.
  • Home_with_CatsHome_with_Cats Member Posts: 29
    Accepted Answer
    Kitties often yowl to get attention. Early in the morning may be the time when she feels her best and wants you to pet and reassure her. Unfortunately, that may be the time when you are sleeping. If she doesn't sleep on your bed, perhaps putting her bed next to yours will help. When she starts her yowling, reach over and pet her. She may also be waking up, confused, and looking for other cats that are no longer there. Either way, a little TLC can help. Also, a stuffed animal, just a little smaller than her, might also help. Make sure you are feeding her nutritous wet food at regular intervals. Rather than two meals a day, four smaller ones are easier on her digestive system.