Attachment issues?

Hi, I was wondering if any of you knew how to tell if a cat is too attached. We found Lucky when he was really young, maybe 3 weeks old, someone had thrown him out of a car and we found him on the bridge all cut up, we picked him up and took him home and hand fed him and nursed him back to health, at first he was scared and would hide but now he had built his trust up, but over the last couple of weeks he seems to have become really attached me, in the sence that he has to be touching me while he sleeps, if I leave the room he follows, he follows me to the bathroom, into the kitchen and sits at my feet, if I go outside he sits by the door and meows and when I come back in he won't come near me he just sits and meows at me for a while like he is mad and the longer I am gone the worse it is. Is this normal? If not how can I change it? Thank you

Best Answers

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    You don't say how old Lucky is now, but I rescued a feral kitten at age 4 weeks. At first he was scared, but after 3 days he started running up my leg like a squirrel. I fostered him for one month and he was adopted. I now have a cat I rescued three years ago who was abandoned and she was on death's door. I nursed her back to health and she also followed me around like you described. She also did this to my cousin when I left her for one week when I was on vacation. She followed my cousin everywhere - like a little "ducky" my cousin would say. She has, however, seemed to outgrow this "separation anxiety" issue. Maybe over time your kitty will realize that you are not going to abandon him. Best of luck with Lucky!
  • Timmy_TomcatTimmy_Tomcat Plymouth Meeting 19462Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    First! Thank you for being a great person and helping a kitty in need. Well Buddy has had a tough life. You are his savior and security. He needs security when you leave. I suggest a nice little box/bed all his own. Over time I have found that "Kitty Box Selection" is not just throw a box down and go. If you have the wrong box they just ignore it after a sniff. A good Cat Box should be small enough so that Buddy feels secure. Cats like to feel the box against their back so no one can "get-them" from behind. The sides should be just high enough so he can look out when he is laying down but not so high that he has to stand to see. The box should be against a wall or solid object if possible. Put an item of clothing that you have worn in his nice little box. Maybe a little toy you have seen him play with. He now has you all to himself. All the time! When you come home always make a fuss and give pets. I have had used boxes for my needy kitties to great sucess! Purrs
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I was wondering, since this is a sudden change in behavior, something might have scared Lucky. Have there been any thunderstorms in your area? Any visitors he did not care for? It sounds like he may have been traumatized. You may have to do some more socialization with him. Reassure him that you love him and that he's OK. Keep him as near as he needs to be until he's got his confidence back. Watch him carefully to see if he is scared of something. And, when you come in, greet him enthusiastically (but not loudly) and allow him to sniff you. Pet him if he'll tolerate it. This is how animals greet each other when one has been away from the group for a while. They check out each other's smells and 'read the news/guest list'.
  • Rachael PerksRachael Perks Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    Hi!My darling girl Joan was 9-months when I took her in 3-months ago.I took her to vet for the very behaviour you described above.The wailing had me totally distressed,her totally frantic & my neighbours complaining.She was given Clomicalm with little result so I'm trying her without.I also installed a pheromone diffuser to create a "happy hormone" filled space for her.Vet went totally against the other responders advice & I was told not to make a big fuss when coming & going as it only rewards the overanxious behaviour & makes her believe that me coming & going IS a big event that she should stress about.I'm supposed to wait for her to not want me - ha! She always wants me so we now have reached a happy medium.I come home,talk to her as I go about my business & then after about 15-min it is very big hug & kisses.She is alot calmer & happier, but suspect she will always have an anxious quirk.I don't care as long as she's happy & my neighbour isn't at me re: her wailing!Good luck!