My kitten is behaving strangely... help?

Member Posts: 1
Once upon a time I had a healthy, happy, loveable, 4 month old kitten. That same kitten is now nearing 5.5 months and frankly, he's become quite mean. His only interest is to pounce on my shoes, books, children's toys, and anything else left out in the open. He's also taken up *begging for human food* much like a dog. The only time he's even semi-cuddly is at 4am when he wakes me up with a chorus of meows and wants to snuggle. What is UP with his crazy behavioral changes?!

Best Answers

• Hope ShepherdHope Shepherd Wyoming, FeltonMember Posts: 84
    Accepted Answer
    *smiles and hello, First of all do You have Him fixed? that will calm 90% of all cats to a certain degree.* and at 5 months old He is at the age vets will agree that is a good age to fix. He will start to urinate and male cat pee has pheramones in it that are hard to get the stink out of carpets and other cloths. He is a playful kitten as He should be. if He is the only cat in the house He is letting it be known that He is alpha male.the begging is common all 5 of my kitties do it. BUT human food is bad for cats. (tuna and white meat chicken is ok but thats it.) You are gonna have to ignore Him hun, dont look at Him when He pegs at Your side. He will get the idea. also when YOu eat do this.. take His food and water and fill it and put it a good ways away from table or wherever you eat. So He can eat with You but not be begging. the 4am thing well that is something that is gonna be hard to break He loves You, Get used to it. He owns You not the other way around lol
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Even though you say he is "mean", your kitten is acting very normally. The other poster's advice to have him neutered is absolutely correct. It won't change his personality, but it will keep it from getting any more aggressive. Domestic cats, like their wild cousins, stalk, pounce, climb, etc. And, yours is still a baby. He is still learning and experimenting. He needs an outlet for his energy. Teach your children how to play with him. If they are calm, quiet and know how to play with him and his toys, he will also be calm, quiet and play the right way. The pet stores are filled with toys that your children can learn to use. Redirect his behavior. When he becomes too hyper, stop the playtime and walk away. As far as the food, do not leave dishes on the counter or sink. Teach your children not to leave food out or give him any human food. Put him in another room at your mealtimes. Do not shriek or hit him and teach your children the same. He is just a normal kitten!