Somebody peed on my mattress! Now what do I do?

This is not a behavioral issue--I don't know which of my cats did it, but I suspect Spike, who likes to mark things from time to time (and no, he doesn't have a urinary infection). I was stupid enough to put off buying a rubber sheet when I bought a new bed a few months ago. Now it has a nice, stinky, yellow stain. I don't know why someone decided to leave their mark--no one ever peed on my previous bed. Does anyone have any idea about how I can get the stain and odor out so that it won't bother me? (Yes, I know that the cats will still be able to smell it, but if I buy a new bed, chances are that somebody will then mark it, too.) Oh, and the mattress can't be turned upside down to hide the scene of the accident.

Best Answers

• JEN ATKINSJEN ATKINS Member Posts: 123
    Accepted Answer
    99.99% of the time cats urinate inappropriately because they have a urinary issue that needs to be treated medically. Tests need to be done on a urine sample to ensure that there is no urinary infection. If you have not done this already, it needs to be done as soon as possible. Urinary infections are very painful and in males, can be deadly if left untreated. Take care!
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    The former poster is correct that your cat may have a urinary tract infection. If you really don't think he doesn't, well then you are going to risk him doing this again. I would clean the soiled area on the mattress with Nature's Miracle and let it dry thoroughly. Keep the bedroom door closed and let it air all day. Then go buy that plastic cover and place it on the mattress so if it happens again, it won't seep through to the mattress. That's the best advice I can give you as far as getting the odor and stain out and to prevent future accidents from happening. If all else fails, keep the bedroom "off limits" to the cats. Best of luck.