My cat is not himself...

Recently my cat has been feeling very weak when i stroke him - he falls under any pressure whereas he used to push back equally as hard purring louder than any cat ive ever met. Nowadays he is just a shadow of his former self , he fights with his brother when he is home and disappears for days on end. When he does come home he seems very frail and all he does is sleep for hours and drink gallons and gallons of water. Is this just typical old age cat behaviour?? Why has his brother from the same litter not experienced the same changes, he still plays with string and leaps about like he was 10 years younger. Any help would be great thanks

Best Answers

• Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    Accepted Answer
    This kitty needs to see a vet ASAP as any change in behavior can be caused by health issues. Keep kitty inside until you can get him to the doctor.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Louis is right! You need to get your cat to a vet ASAP, and you need to keep him indoors. Why would you let him out for days on end when he is in frail condition? It certainly sounds to me that he has some medical issue going on. When my cat started drinking water in excess, I knew it was time for a trip to the vet. It turned out she had chronic renal failure. Excessive water consumption in a senior cat can also be a sign of diabetes. In any event, your kitty is not well and needs to see a vet NOW rather than later! I hope he's okay.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I don't have anything to add, but I'm curious--do you have some overriding reason for not having taken your kitty to the vet by now?
  • Betty M- MurphyBetty M- Murphy Member Posts: 31
    Accepted Answer
    Fred, you kitty is obviously having a serious health crises, or may be in the dying process already. I am not a vet, but the 1st thing I think of when I hear of animals drinking tons of water is diabetes. Cats hide their illnesses so well that by the time they are showing signs this severe, they require immediate medical treatment. You MUST take him to the vet and NOW. This is not, by any means, normal "old age" behavior. Also, the fact that he now fights with his brother indicates to me that he is in a lot of pain, and doesn't want to be bothered by the other kitty. When an animal is sick or knows it is dying, it will instinctively go away & hide until it dies. If he goes out but doesn't return, you can be fairly sure that is what has happened. However, I would not let him outside for any reason now because he's obviously so sick that he couldn't possibly defend himself against any other animal. Again, PLEASE get him to a vet immediately. Good Luck - I'll be praying for him & you