Cat weight concern

Hi, I have a female cat 10 years old. My husband and I have been noticing she's getting skinnier over the last year or so. She still looks healthy from the front half but the back half is where we're seeing the thinness. Can't feel ribs, but you can feel the back half of her backbone. She seems happy and still cuddly as always. Is this an age thing or should we have her taken in to be looked at?

Best Answer

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Your cat is a senior and should be seen by a veterinarian at least every six months. I would be concerned about her losing weight. If you can notice it, then it is time to have it checked out to determine what is causing her to lose weight. Is she eating more? Is she drinking more water than usual? If the answer is yes to either or both of these questions, your cat needs to be seen by a vet sooner rather than later. Anything could be going on. It is not uncommon for senior felines to develop hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) which would cause a loss of weight. Diabetes and kidney problems can also cause your cat to lose weight. Your kitty really needs a senior wellness check-up to get a proper diagnosis. If there is an underlying problem, she could live many more healthy, happy years if she gets the proper diagnosis and treatment in a timely manner. Best of luck.