My cat's pupils are dilated and she keeps hiding?

My cat's pupils are dilated and they stay that way, and she keeps hiding. Once she gets somewhere, she won't move unless I move her. She won't eat or drink, and when she does move, she's really slow. She was like this the day before yesterday, but yesterday she was fine. Today, she's doing it again. She has fleas, which we've tried to help by giving her flea baths, but they don't help. We're taking her to the vet when my mom gets back from physical therapy in a couple hours. Does anyone know what this is?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Please understand that we aren't vets here, and even if we were, there is no way we could diagnose your poor kitty over the Internet. She could have a head injury which would cause the dilated pupils. Or, she could simply be scared. Cats usually HATE baths and that could be weirding her out. I hope you asked the vet for professional flea drops like Frontline. You'll also have to rid your home of fleas. You can ask your vet how to do this.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Stop giving her flea baths. You are probably poisoning the poor cat. Get her to a vet NOW! In the future, please use a topical flea medication prescribed by your veterinarian (FrontLine, Advantage, Revolution, etc.). These meds are used once a month and are highly effective. You also need to treat your home. Best of luck. Hope kitty is okay.
  • Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Charlestown, NHMember Posts: 11,879
    Accepted Answer
    The main symptom for overdose of MANY flea shampoos is dilated pupils and poor muscle/nerve coordination. It does sound like your kitty may be suffering from an overdose of these flea products. Please stop them instantly and get her to your vet for treatment. In the future, only use products purchased from your vet for your cat. Many products safe for dogs are poisonous to cats and vice versa. I (human) was personally poisoned by an organic phosphate flea product I was using on my dogs. It was no fun at all, I was actually blind for about 48 hours and my hands and feet were numb. Fortunately, I realized what was wrong and got treatment quickly. Your cat also needs this treatment, so please get her to your vet NOW!!!!