kitten has feline herpesvirus and I was wondering if anyone knows if...

i can get conjunctivitis from her while hers is active??

Best Answer

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    First of all, are you sure that your cat's conjunctivitis is caused by herpes and not by a bacterial infection? This is an important distinction, because the feline herpes virus is not transmissible to humans. However, some bacterial infections may be spread from cat to human. Please note that a herpes infection can sometimes lead to a secondary bacterial infection, which can be transmitted to humans. If your kitty has a thick, yellowish discharge, it may be bacterial in origin. If it is clear or brownish and relatively more watery, it is more likely to be a viral infection. Make sure exactly what is causing your cat's conjunctivitis, and watch out for any worsening of or change in symptoms. Wash your hands thoroughly after touching her or giving her eye meds. I'm not a vet, so you should consult with your own vet if you have any questions. And if you do develop conjunctivitis yourself, go to the eye doctor and mention that Cleo has conjunctivitis.