Why cant my cat jump on anything?

My 6 month old cat was the sweetest cat we ever had. He always played with my children and would jump on our beds at night and sleep with us. About 2 weeks ago we went out of town for a day, came back and he would not jump off any furniture. He would jump off the couch and his back legs would give out. He basically belly flopped. Now he cannot stand up without slipping and falling. We do not let him outside except for when he goes on our porch, which is very seldom. We have taken him to the Vet twice now, the X-rays showed no injury to the spine which is what the Vet though it might be. He is on medication now but it has been two weeks and he has gotten worse. I now have to carry him upstairs for him to use the litter box because he cannot walk upstairs under his own power. Is there any chance it could be a disease or some type of Illness from going outside?I have looked everywhere online and found nothing, please help.

Best Answers

• sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    I can tell you from experience that my cat, Tippy, could not jump up on anything. She was a feral kitten I took in at about age four (4) months. I do know that she had a congenital eye disorder that caused her to progressively lose vision. She was almost blind by age ten years and passed away at age 11 due to chronic renal failure. She also had a history of seizures on a monthly basis. I don't know what medication your vet gave you, but I did not keep Tippy on any meds at the advice of another veterinarian. I do think you should have your cat's eyes checked and a thorough neurological work-up. That's the best recommendation I can give based on my past experiences. Best of luck and hope kitty is okay.
  • Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Charlestown, NHMember Posts: 11,879
    Accepted Answer
    I would suggest you get a second opinion from another vet. Neurological problems can be difficult to diagnose, and your vet might be missing something. Good luck!!!
  • Lindsay ColbertLindsay Colbert Member Posts: 376
    Accepted Answer
    A similar thing happened with me when I was about 3 or 4 months old. I was doing fine after a dangerous battle with distemper and one day I went to jump down and my legs were all floppy and uncoordinated. My family rushed me to the vet and they noticed I was running a fever and put me on drugs for toxoplasmosis while they waited for bloodwork to go through and sure enough that's what I had and within a few days I was walking again. Toxoplasmosis is a typically symptomless intestinal protozoa parasite but it can overwhelm the immune system and attack the whole body and cause neurological problems, soreness, and lethargy to the point it impairs movement like that. I'm not saying that's what you have, but it's good to think outside the box and a second opinion might be just what you need. Kittens are extra susceptible to all sorts of nefarious infections that can wreak unexpected havoc on their developing systems!