Dental Diets: can anyone recommend one where the kibble is not humongous?

Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
Persians are prone to dental issues and the vet suggested a dental diet since I do not really like the idea of anesthesia for teeth cleaning. Science Diet Oral Care and Hills Dental Diet are both full of garbage for ingredients and the kibble is HUGE. Blaze can not eat it. She tried. A couple of them do like it and did eat it, but not the 2 with the most tartar so I need to find something for them and hopefully a better quality. I like the ingredients of the Royal Canin Rx Dental DD27 better but I would have to get it online and can't see the kibble first. Any others that are not full of garbage but that actually work? I am not expecting to find a holistic food like I usually use (Wellness or Natural Balance) but I guess it's a trade off.

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    I've just been checking these out for Petra and the Royal Canin one is the same size and they deliberately make them big so the cats are forced to chew on them. For Petra the size is ok but I can see how they would be impractical for a Persian since their mouths are so much smaller. Check out the raw food forums as eating raw meaty bones is supposed to be great for cats teeth. So far I've tried a chicken wing and a beef bone but Petra doesn't like them. I'm going to try a lamb bone next in the hope she may like that. Hopefully Blaze is not as fussy as Petra and you can find something like a chicken wing that she will enjoy chewing on.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    As I'm sure you know, Royal Canin has a Persian food, but I don't know whether it addresses oral issues. If you're going to experiment with raw food and bones as teeth cleaners, you might ask some raw experts about combinging raw with kibble--you have to wait a while for the kibble to get digested before feeding raw, or something like that--just a difference of a few hours. Does your vet get free samples of RC Dental? That way you wouldn't have to spend any money to try it out. As for putting cats under anesthesia in order to clean their teeth--I'm sure that's the way it's done if done properly, but I remember my old vet using pliers to remove 15 years's worth crud from the teeth of my Japanese moggy Boku. It came right off before Boku even noticed! And he lived to be 18, and died with a full set of teeth. Ah, those were the good old days, when I knew next to nothing about cat care...
  • TwinkleTwinkle BirminghamMember Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I just looked to see how old Blaze is. Blaze is a young cat so getting her teeth cleaned under anesthesia shouldn't be a problem for her. A good professional teeth cleaning by a vet is the best way to avoid dental problems. I had Twinkle's teeth cleaned under anesthesia when she was 4 & my parents had their cat Pixel's teeth cleaned on the same day. He's the same age as Twinkle & it turned out great for both of them. They had no problems from anesthesia. I'm not saying that you shouldn't put Blaze on a dental diet, it's probably a good idea. All I'm saying is that if her vet is already finding tartar & what not on her teeth now, then imagine how bad her teeth could be in just a few months from now. February is Pet Dental Month. Alot of vets offer a 10% discount for a dental cleaning during February. Ask your vet about it.