Chin acne

Hi I have a 10 month old male cat and I notice that he has a dirty chin with little black spots. He is always scratching his chin like crazy then he begins to bleed I think he has acne, what can I do so he can get better?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    That's exactly what it is. Feline acne starts as small, oily black plugs in the chin, much like blackheads, which may progress to red, itchy bumps, which may become infected. Treatment varies, but most veterinarians will recommend daily cleaning with an antibiotic soap, followed by a topical ointment, either antibiotic, or anti-fungal. Oral antibiotics may also be prescribed, as well as a scrub with hydrogen peroxide. It's thought that this condition can be caused by using plastic feeding dishes which can hold bacteria. The bacteria then migrates to the cat's mouth/chin area and causes the breakout. Tale your kitty to the vet and ask them to diagnose and treat. He's a cutie pie!
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    You will need to see your vet for diagnosis and treatment. It probably is acne, but other conditions, such as yeast infections, mange, and even food allergies can resemble acne. Your vet may need to to a skin scraping to rule out other things. Linus has been dealing with chronic chin acne for a long time and does not scratch his chin with it. Do not use any plastic dishes. Use only stainless steel, ceramic, or glass dishes and wash them with hot water and soap daily. Gentle chin washing with a mild cat safe soap can help. Be careful not to overdo it. sometimes the more you mess with the chin - the worse it looks as frequent cleaning can irritate it. My vet recommended washing only once or twice a week. There are products that can help. Linus has tried zeniquin (antibiotic) and douxo spot on treatment. He had excellent results, but now apparently became resistant to those products. He's now on a clindamicin gel, and my vet asked me to reserve that for severe breakouts or before show
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    You can start by washing your cat's food bowls. Chin acne is usually always the result of cats eating out of dirty bowls. Sorry, but you need to keep kitty's bowls cleaner! Hope this helps!
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    My cat's bowls are stainless steel and I wash them frequently. I also wash Chelsea's chin weekly with a benzoyl peroxide shampoo from my vet. She still gets chin acne no matter how hard I try. I would definitely have your vet take a look if it is bad enough that he makes himself bleed. Chelsea's does not seem to bother her at all no matter how much it seems like it would. She hates it intensely when I scrub her chin but the one time I let it go a little her whole bottom lip swelled up so you really have to stay on it and treat continuously.