Why is my cat coughing and sneezing?

Member Posts: 1
My cat was fixed a week ago today and about 3 days ago I noticed her making a few noises like someone with a stuffy nose would make. Plus she is sneezing more than normal. The noises don't sound horrible but they sound kind of like she has water in her nose or lungs. I don't have much money to take her back to the vet again. Her wound from being spayed looks good. It is not red, but it has a little lump from the stitches. Really she is acting like herself except she is making weird noises. Could she have gotten sick from her stay at the vet? She is about 9 months old.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It's absolutely possible that your cat picked up an upper respiratory infection from the vet's clinic. You should be returning to the vet to have the stitches removed within a few days, which is included in the charge for the spay. At that time, ask the vet about her breathing. If her breathing sounds "juicy", it's a good bet she has a URI or "kitty cold". She will need medication. Since this is Friday, you may want to call the vet to ask if they want to see her sooner. URI are nothing to fool around with. They can get worse very quickly.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the former poster. Get your kitty back to the vet ASAP. She probably did pick up something at the vet. It is normal that she has a little lump from the stitches (which will eventually go away). However, the cough needs to be looked into. Hopefully, she does not have pneumonia (from aspirating during surgery). I would be most concerned about that coughing and sneezing. Get to the vet today! Best of luck. Hope kitty is feeling better soon.
  • Sarah LawhorneSarah Lawhorne New Port RicheyMember Posts: 26
    Accepted Answer
    Your cat's throat may have gotten scratched during the spaying surgery, when the vet put a breathing tube down her throat. If the coughing and sneezing continues, you should take her to the vet ASAP.