Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

My cat sometimes accidentally pees outside the box. How do I get her to stop?

My cat Nova is always in the box when she goes, but sometimes, she lifts her rear too high and pees over the side. I've seen her do it a couple times. She starts off at a good level but then slowly elevates her behind until she is peeing on the floor. I got a covered box to see if that would help, and it did some. Unfortunately, I had to take the door off because neither of my cats could understand that it was, in fact, a door and not a wall. She ends up peeing right out the doorway sometimes. I don't feel like this is a medical issue since it has been happening on and off for a long time now.

Best Answers

• TwinkleTwinkle BirminghamMember Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    She probably just needs a bigger box. In my opinion litter boxes are WAY too small. I don't use an actual litterbox for my cat. I use a low to the ground storage bin.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    My cats wouldn't use a covered box, either, even though I thought it was a wonderful idea. Like Twinkle, I use a long Rubbermaid underbed storage box as well, but if your cat is spray painting the floors, the sides will be too low and you'll still have the problem. You might want to get her a very large box. The box may be to small for her. If she's using the box, it's probably not a urinary tract infection, it's just the way she pees. The next time you visit the pet store, check out the litter boxes. Many of them are extra large and have pretty high sides for just this sort of kitty issue. If worse comes to worst, you can always tape up a plastic tablecloth on the wall behind her box or put one on the floor.