im thinking about getting a kitten but if i do i have to get it declawed. is that the right thing to

Best Answers

• Kitty_Pryde_and_JackKitty_Pryde_and_Jack los angelesMember Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Why do you have to get it declawed? It is an awful thing to do, and is illegal in some places now-imagine the top section of your finger being cut off-bone and all-that is essentially what they do. If you really would like a cat and have to have a declawed one, why not adopt from your local shelter-there are a lot of animals who have had their claws taken away for adoption. You can train a kitten where to scratch-I myself am lucky and never had a problem but I also have provided ample scratching posts for my cats so they always scratched there. Please do not declaw! It's such an awful thing and can lead to more behavior problems later-such as biting and litterbox avoidance (because they use their paws to cover and if it hurts, they may stay away from the box all together!) check out this site: http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm good luck.

Kitty Pryde and Jack

• Evelyn CummingsEvelyn Cummings Charlestown, NHMember Posts: 11,879
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with everything the previous poster said, and I would like to add that in most cases, it WILL change the temperament of your cat. When I managed an animal shelter we were always getting adult cats in because they were biting and no longer friendly. In most cases, they were declawed so I started questioning people about it... the cats were perfectly friendly UNTIL they were declawed... then they started biting. Makes sense to me... a cat's natural defense is their claws. When those are removed, it leaves their teeth only, which they WILL use! Getting bit is MUCH more painful than getting batted with a foot!!! Most likely, those cut-off toe joints hurt, just like a broken bone! My cat has several cardboard scratching things... one hangs on a doorknob and the other is a little stand. He is just one year old and I have had to replace the door one three times already and the stand one twice. HOWEVER, he has NEVER scratched any of my furniture nor damaged ANYTHING in my house
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    It's NOT necessary to declaw a cat. Declawing is a very heated topic with cat people. Please research declawing - it is major surgery and very painful. It can lead to some behaviorial issues too such as biting and aggression (as the cat loses it's first line of defense and can feel insecure) and litterbox avoidence (due to sore paws and associating the box with pain). There are other options such as keeping the nails trimmed (blunt nails cause less damage), Soft Paws nail caps (which I've used in the past and have worked very well), and training the cat to use a scratching post. Yes, with a little time and effort training, most cats will use a scratching post. My cats are all very good about using their scratchers. Anyway, please research all your options before you make this decision. Ultimately, the decision is yours, but make it an educated decision. Do some google searches on declawing, scratching post training, soft paws, and how to trim nails.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with everyone. Please just don't get a kitten if you need to declaw it. It is inhumane and cruel and any kitten is better off with somebody else who would not do that to them. I have 10 cats with claws and not one single one of them is destructive. I keep their claws trimmed and provide cat trees made of sisal rope and cardboard scratchers. Cats can be trained.
  • Lindsay ColbertLindsay Colbert Member Posts: 376
    Accepted Answer
    It's definitely not moral to get a perfectly healthy kitten with full intentions amputating it's finger-tips, even if you have a medical reason. (hemophilia or impaired immune system) For one thing if you are doing it for medical reasons you have a good chance of ending up with a kitten who bites which is even more dangerous. It makes a lot more sense to adopt a needy cat from a shelter who has long been declawed and whose post-declaw temperament is known. If you don't have a medical reason that you can't have a cat capable of scratching then there is really no good reason to need a declawed kitten. Kittens are very easy to train to use proper scratched and accept regular claw clipping and if even if you place the well-being of nice furniture over the well-being of your pets, any damage a well-trained and trimmed kitten will do to furniture with their claws over a lifetime pales in comparison to the deposits of cat hair they'll leave. You can't have a cat *and* perfect furniture.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I was always on the fence about declawing until I saw the procedure being done in a video shown by the executive director of the welfare organization I volunteered with. I came really close to losing my lunch. HOWEVER, my daughter has 6 cats and 5 are declawed. I can say their personalities didn't change. There were people I dealt with while doing adoptions who told me that if the cat clawed their furniture, it was coming back and if we wouldn't take it back, they'd abandon it someplace. Of course I didn't adopt to those people. Personally, I would not have my cats declawed. I have a new chair that's been clawed, but it's all part of being owned by a cat. If you train your cat, provide safe "scratchy" places, there really is no reason to have it declawed. Having the cat fixed so it doesn't add to the extreme overpopulation of unwanted kittens in our country is a MUCH better place to put your money!