Is there medicine for cats with congestion?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    No there is not. The cat really should see the vet because when they can not smell they often will not eat. A vet will usually prescribe an antibiotic for the illness causing the congestion. Or in my cat's case, the congestion was caused by polyps in her sinuses and surgery was necessary. Using a vaporizer or humidifier in the room where the cat sleeps may help. Just steam from water, NO chemicals. When my Kira was recovering from her surgery the vet also suggested having her in the bathroom with me when I showered so that the steam could help. Just like when humans are congested, steam helps relieve it.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Allie is right. At no time should an owner EVER give a cat with any sort of medical issue anything that was made for a human. The only time that this would ever be possible and/or appropriate is if it is approved by a vet and the proper dosage is given to the cat with the vet's guidance. We all know that vet care is expensive, but in the long run it is cheaper than accidentally giving your cat something that could prove fatal and having to live with the guilt.